Followers

May 03, 2011

Weird Nest

Hey Everyone!
Wow, I'm so lucky to live out in the woods.  I get the coolest nature experiences here in my territory.  Here's a case in point.  Last weekend when we had a momentary bit of sunshine, Mom & Dad decided to work on the bank in front of our house.    (I promise, there really is a weird nest in this story.)

Here is the bank before the face-lift...

 So......in the process of moving the rocks, Mom found dozens of squiggly wormies and a bunch of cool salamanders and even a bunch of buggies.  Then suddenly, she moved a rock and went SQUEEEE!  Here's what she saw:
This little cavern was about the size of the palm of a peep's hand.  It was all excavated out and was being protected by a centipede!  Look at the little eggs in there!  By the time Dad grabbed the camera, the centipede slipped back into the dirt, but just look at that nest of little eggs!  Very cool.  They very carefully replaced the rock so the nest would stay safe.   Super neat!

Anyway, I'm a nature pup so these sorts of things really light me up.  I hope you found it interesting too! 
BTW:  Here's the bank after the facelift:
Now if we could just get more sun...there will be hostas and day lilies all along the wall!  (Thanks Mamaw for the pressies!)

















See 5-1-11 post for Event details!

Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

19 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

That was nice of your peeps to leave that little nest alone.

The landscaping looks great, too. We KNOW that's because of your snoopervision.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

Wyatt said...

We see all kinds of bug and snake stuff when we dig in the dirt. The snakes always make us jump, but we like them :)

Wyatt

The Daily Pip said...

Wow, Sarge, those little eggs are cute! I wish I had that stuff near me - though I don't really know how to dig!

Your pal, Pip

Dexter said...

OK, My mom would have been a screaming idiot if she saw that. She would have been afraid to step foot in the yard. Your mom is like total nature lady.

Slobbers,
Mango

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Holy Gwalk A Moley... Those eggs are grrreat. Are you sure they aren't salamander eggs and that the centipede wasn't gonna EAT them??

Your rock wall looks grrrrreat. It is a shame that the picture doesn't show how HIGH it really is... THAT was a lot of Work fur your mom and dad butt it surely does look super now!!! Don't tell your mom and dad this... butt I peed on some of those rocks... hehehehe

Adien Crafts said...

Our human hates bugs, she's such a woos. We like to eat them, well you have to try these things once in a dogs life to see if you like them don't you? Our human said could your peeps come and have a tidy up of our garden please? ;-) Dex & Lou x

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

we really did find that so interesting! you are just like us in your adventures and love for the outdoors. We love your style. xo Guinness

Remington said...

I would of left them alone too....it's just the right thing to do....

3 doxies said...

My mum is about to hurl nows. Hers don't do bugs...of any kind!!!!!!!
Howevers, me being da nature girl dat I is thinks it's very cool!

Puddles

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Hmmm...eggs....but dey don't looks like da kind to bake a cake wit!

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Thanks for taking us on the neat walk with you Sarge!! That is a really interesting nest. Are you going back, when it hatches? Keep us posted!

Woofs and Kisses!
The Fiesty Three

rottrover said...

Beautiful wall, Sarge. Excellent snoopervising!!

Oskar said...

Cool nest! My mom person would have wailed & jumped in the air if she found a centipede!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

animal lover, quilt lover said...

You know Sarge, we live in the woods too!! Bambi see every kind of life there is out there. It took years to get her to leave the wild life alone but she does now. She see's a snake and just walks right by it now and I am so proud of !!!! She will even leave a mole along MOST of the time!!
xx, Bambi & Fern

Zona said...

SUPER COOL! I LOVE nature stuff! But... umm... does Frankie pee on EVERYTHING?! BOL!

Wags,
Zona

PeeS - just catching up today! I LOVE your Memorial Day Event! I'll post about it soon to remind everyone. Great idea!

Elaine Pritchard said...

We all love seeing nature pictures too.

Thanks for sharing those.

Love and licks, Winnie

♥ Sallie said...

I loved it!

So cool. I never saw anything like that.

Hugs,

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Furry khool!

Thanks fur sharing your projekht AND finds!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Two French Bulldogs said...

Yikes, purrty cool Sarge
Snuggles and snorts,
Benny & Lily